May 17, 2013

If you take a 3 year old to a relay...

Do you ever have those moments as a mom when your child just fills you up with pride that you think you may burst?  Tonight I had one of those moments.

Tonight was the 20th annual Relay for Life near our hometown.  My husband put a team together with his JMG (Jobs for Maine Grads) students.  I picked Jack up after school and we headed over to the University to support his team.

Now Jack being the typical three year old that he is, wanted nothing to do with the actually relay.  First thing on the agenda was go listen to his echos under the grand stand.  We mosied on under, did a few Tarzan-like calls, and left.

Next on the list, climb UP the grand stand.  We get about half way up and his little legs grew tired, so I picked him up for the rest of the way.  So we can now check off climbing the stairs and my workout for the evening.

As I huffed and puffed back down with the 30 pound sack of potatoes in my arms Jack spots a blue helium filled balloon, floating into the air.  He then proceeds to ask for one.  After about two minutes of talking him off a cliff from a major meltdown, I finally manage to convince him to go visit daddy in his booth.

We have nice little visit, recharge our batteries with some sandwiches and juice boxes and proceed to the stage where a band is getting ready to play a set.  He sits still through about 2 songs and then decided doing somersaults and tossing his Boston Red Sox's cap in the air and chasing it down was a lot more entertaining.  Flushed faced and grinning we head back for round two of  dinner and head BACK over to the grandstands with the rest of the team for the opening ceremonies.

I am always amazed of the strength and courage of cancer  survivors.  There is not one person I know that hasn't been touched by this disease in some way.

The honoree this year was a young man  who had terminal cancer and throughout his speech he was so positive and encouraging to others.  It was during this ceremony that I tried to explaining to my son what we were doing here (he wanted to why he had to be quiet).
 I told him that we will be walking the track because  a lot of sick people here need our help to raise money, so that they can buy medicine and get better

As I am holding Jack in my arms and watch the survivors take a lap around the track he asks to be put down.  "I wanna walk."  "Okay." I say, thinking he was finished being held.  Just as I was getting ready to set him on the ground he say to me, "I want to help people too."

These are the moments that I live for.

Helping out with the fund raising
And it wouldn't be Jack if he didn't some how turn this into some sort of instrument.  Strumming his guitar to the music of a local country station.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...