May 14, 2014

Highs and Lows

What a week it has been.  A week full of ups and downs.  Thankfully it all ended on a high note.  The beginning of the week I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I'm not going to lie, I cried when I found out especially after looking it up on Google (why I do this I don't know) and seeing the ill affects it can have on me or the baby.

I had my appoinment with the diabetes center and met with their dietrician.  I have to count carbs and test my glucose levels 4 times a day with a finger prick. And all those scary facts I found on my Internet search, well that is if the disease is left untreated.  The dietrician also made me feel better by telling me that this wasn't something I could of prevented. I didn't meet any of the factors that would make me high risk like obesity or high pressure.  I could blame this all on my darn hormones!

But I really can't complain there are people who have to live with diabetes their entire lives, and I have 9 weeks to deal with it.  I just told Bryan that as soon as I give birth he better have a giant hot fudge sundae waiting for me!

Fortunately the week ended on a high.  On Friday I attended my hooding ceremony in which I received a Master's in literacy education.  It was definitely a bitter sweet moment and very much Hogwarts like atmosphere with all the different robes.  I have no interest in getting my doctorates, but  those robes they wear are really cool!

During my time taken classes, I ended up becoming friends with many of my classmates who were in the same program as I. It was a great moment to celebrate with all of them.

Here we all are getting ready to enter the ceremony.


Bryan, Jack and my dad were also there to support me at the hooding ceremony.

Jack was big smiles at the beginning





Not so much two hours later....

A feel the same way buddy.

I have gotten a lot of congratulations from friends, family and co-workers.  Some seem to be in awe that this could be done while having a child and working full time.  I like to think it's because I have this extraordinary superpower, but in all honesty I couldn't of done it without my husband.  He made sure that Jack was cared for, and dinner was ready on those nights I had class, sometimes not coming home until 9 o'clock.  When I had papers and projects due he would entertain Jack, sometimes even taking him down to visit with the grandparents for a weekend, so I could get work done.  It was hard work, but it would of been even harder with out his help.  Thinking he may be a keeper!



UPDATE May 20, 2014: I just returned from the doctor's office at the diabetes center and because my numbers have been in the correct range I now only have to test 3 time s a week!  That's only 12 finger pricks as opposed to 28! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...